Monday, January 3, 2011

Thoughts on the NFL

I have been reading about the NFL and the desire of ownership to move from a 16 to an 18 game season. Aside from the obvious risk to player safety and career longevity, which are in obvious contrast to the leagues public stand on making the game "safer," what Roger Goodell doesn't seem to realize is that fans aren't complaining about the 4 game preseason. We are complaining about being charged regular season prices for exhibition football.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want to commit to more NFL games before Labor Day. One thing that's great about football is that it brings an excitement to the end of summer/beginning of fall and that carries us into winter. I don't want to cut short my summer BBQs or vacation plans because of the NFL.

Additionally, it's not the starters that benefit from the preseason. Teams need time to round out their rosters with 2nd and 3rd string players, and to establish special teams. The preseason is crucial for this. An 18 game season does not help with anything other than helping the owners justify lining their pockets with cash.

I can't fight the feeling that we're moving to our first NFL work stoppage in a very long time, as billionaires fight with millionaires over how to carve the golden goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment